Wednesday, July 31, 2013

And here's Psychoboy!

So designing Psychoboy was the opposite of Stickboy. For Stick I had a design idea I just needed to test and make sure it worked. With Psycho I had no idea how I wanted him to look. So I started with a design that resembled my friend who inspired Dogmeat in the defunct comedy concept I had (shown below in the upper left corner). But again, I found real people to be boring, so I tried a lot of variations.  
 
I wanted Psycho to be a beefier, more normal looking guy than Stick, but my problem was most of these guys looked too normal. They don't match the name at all, with the exception of the one sketch with his hair sticking up...

 
So I tired a few more things, I almost went with modern hair like someone in an Alternative band (shown below in the center), which still felt too normal. Finally in the lower left corner we get to something very close to what works, with the spiky hair.  Also on this page I drew some minor characters from the series along the upper left hand corner and a generic character (with the bald head) trying to get the feel of what the whole series might look like and how Psycho would fit into that.
 
 
 
So the punk hair was working for me and I decided it needed to be spikes around his face. This way Psycho looks like he's always got a star burst radiating from his face, like he's always excited, which is pretty appropriate for the character. While Stick's shirt is neutral because he's our everyman, Psychoboy would have an eight ball shirt to show his...eccentric nature.  
 
Since I use him less than Stick in the series, his tryout sketches were of scenes I thought might be in the actual first story, complete with the trench coat he'd wear in most of it.
 
 
 
 
Well, Psycho passed his "audition" and I honestly love his design. He only appears in some stories in the series. I try to use him sparingly. He's just one of those character you keep behind glass that's labeled "Only break if you're ready to get crazy." But he keeps getting in there. He's a lot of fun, and we'll be seeing him once I get a few more pages into the story...  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment