Thursday, July 11, 2013

It moves..it speaks...it's my first YouTube video!



Yes, kids, it's sound and motion! Amazing!

I had to teach myself  iMovie as I was making this. I won't say this is the first video I've ever made, because I made a couple short animated videos in a college class, but that was a zillion years ago. I will say it's definitely the most complex video I've ever made.

Making a video is a lot like making a comic, you have to think visually about the best image to put with the dialog. Except with videos you actually have to...speak.

I'm not an actor, a poet or a comedian. Hell, I barely speak out loud most of the time. So doing my first voiceover was a very different experience for me. I kind of wish I could hire an actor to play my voice (College Follies Comic Creator Blog...starring Morgan Freeman as the voice of Todd Luck!).

The audio was recorded using the built-in microphone on an iMac and I upped the volume greatly in iMovie. The quality of the recording seems to vary between recording sessions but, like I said, I'm learning this as I go along.

The pictures are all still images (jpegs) that have what's called the Ken Burns effect on them to make the camera move. They're a combination of scans, photos, screen captures and some artwork I created in Photoshop.

The movie was exported out of iMovie using its Quicktime options as a 1280p HD movie. And YouTube actually lets you enter a transcript of the video, which it automatically syncs up with the movie and turns into closed captioning. I can't describe to you how awesome that is!

It was a blast putting the video together, going through all my old art to find images that would tell my story. Brownie points for whoever can name the franchise that my five year-old self was drawing a story of in 1984 (now there was a young man who was going places!).

I'll probably do a video every month or two. I plan on doing... not necessarily "how to" videos because I don't feel like I'm really qualified to tell anyone how to do something... but rather "how I do it" videos, showing how I create the comics. They'll also be the occasional video announcements and probably a commercial for the comic once I get an issue completed. I'd also like to do a commentary on each issue of the comic after they're released.

And heck, the sky's the limit. Maybe for the sake of variety I'll do a review of a bad video game, I'm sure no one on YouTube has ever done that, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment