Saturday, July 20, 2013

Social Media on Parade: There's no tube like a YouTube...

YouTube! Somewhere between the videos of kittens nodding off and Mitt Romney dancing Gangnam Style is a channel for College Follies! I've only got one video so far, an introduction to this blog, but more will be coming. I'll be posting videos on how I make the comic and other fun stuff along the way, so be sure to subscribe to the channel.

Putting art on a YouTube channel...well, let's just say it's complicated. You remember how Google+ initially shows the bottom of your image to browsers who visit your site? Well, YouTube will only show a small slither in the very center to visitors.... or at least the ones on the internet. It'll show a different slither to mobile users and the whole image to those seeing it on their TV.

So to find an image that would look good  no matter what, I used a picture from a photo shoot  I did of pages I'd drawn or inked with art supplies and/or other images I'd made laid on top of them. These photos are used for the background for this blog and the College Follies Twitter page. I was able to find one that would make sense when viewed only as a middle slither (you could actually see characters' faces, tell what was going in the panels, etc.). And you can also see the pen and pencil on top of the pages that just screams "comic creation" to me.

Incidentally, the inked pages shown are from the story I'm touching up, lettering  and coloring currently (though they are a few pages farther than what I've gotten to so far). The penciled one in the middle is from a incomplete story I drew in 2000, which will be the second College Follies story. How's that for a tease?




No comments:

Post a Comment