Saturday, July 13, 2013

Social Media on Parade: Facebook photobombing

In the time between finishing pages for the comic, I'll be posting various bits of art I've done related to the comic. So I thought I'd do a series of posts on the new art I had to create for each College Follies social media site.

We'll start with Facebook. The 500 pound gorilla of the internet. The social network Mark Zuckerburg started to get back at an ex-girlfriend (hey, if Aaron Sorkin wrote it in a screenplay, it must be true).

So this is the image on facebook.com/collegefollies:



It originally started out as art for my YouTube channel with my main character Stickboy trying to get himself and his girlfriend Kinkygirl on tape, with his pals Psychoboy and Bigirl jumping in to get in on the video. When I discovered I completely misunderstood how YouTube channel art worked, I had to go with something else for my channel art.

The image was reworked for Facebook and became Stickboy taking a photo of him and Kinkygirl with Psychoboy and Bigirl photobombing him. All the characters pictured have appeared in various bits of art I've done for College Follies since I first drew the series in 1999, except Kinkygirl. It's her first time being drawn for the series...well sorta.

Kinky is based on my ex-girlfriend who became my ex-wife. During our eight relationship, I would draw Kinky on homemade cards I would give her and even in a little book I drew for her as a gift. When we divorced, she obviously kept all the cards and the book I made for her. For whatever reason, I never made copies or photos of any of it. I didn't keep any sketches or designs I did for the character (if any existed, I may have just drawn her directly on the page).

So other than Stickboy himself, I've actually drawn Kinky more than any other College Follies character. Yet I don't have any references for her other than a single published image of her that was done for a political cartoon in my school newspaper (and that was at an odd angle, so I couldn't tell how I did the shape of the face).

So I was pretty much coming up with the design for her as I did the Facebook image, I think it came out decent, though I may do some tweaking on it in the future. It's good to see her character in a proper image for the series. Stickboy, like everyone else, deserves some love.

No comments:

Post a Comment