Monday, July 29, 2013

Lo unto thee, a Stickboy is born!

Below is the front and back of the page I originally designed Stickboy on. I had already plotted dozens of stories with him and had the concept of what he looked in my head, I just never put it on paper before I drew the first issue in 1999.
 
There's some caricatures of myself on there too, because I was questioning if I really wanted to go with my original design idea, or instead do something that more resembled what I actually look like. I was also a bit concerned about how expressive I could be with the eyes when they're only dots in his glasses (hence you see alternative ways to do the eyes on the right).
 
Of course, I did go with my original design, determining real people look boring. If you were going to have to stare at this guy every panel, he needed to look distinct, interesting and fun. And thus a Stickboy was born!
 


 
Next: I see what Stickboy can do

No comments:

Post a Comment