Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Page One, Part 2: Now that's a damn fine peacock!

Now let me say that while I'm touching up the artwork for the first comic, I'm not altering it. I consider this a comic book time capsule. There's no better way to do a comic about the 90s than to actually have made it in the 90s. So I'll be smoothing out and straightening lines, fixing eyes, etc. but I won't be altering anything. This isn't going to be a "special edition" of the first story (Uncle Sam still shot first), just a better edition as true to the intent of my original pencils as possible.

Same goes for the script. Even though I could probably word a few of the gags better now, they're staying the same. With one exception. In the original I actually referred to the "club" the Columbine killers belonged to by its real name. I actually didn't want to do that originally, but I couldn't think of any name that was more absurd than "Trench Coat Mafia."

On this page I've altered it to "Trench Coat Gangstas." This is partly because I didn't want to use any real names associated with the killers, because it sort of offends me their names are still famous for contributing nothing to society other than pain and death, so I want to do as little possible to keep that going. Another reason for the change is that I later found out that they did listen to Marilyn Manson, which screwed up a reoccurring gag in the book, thus the shooters mentioned in this story become fictional parodies of the killers.

But that's it for the script altering other than a line I've added at the beginning to let the reader know it takes place (in what is now) the past. I don't plan on adding any musical numbers or Boba Fett cameos, just color. Lots and lots of color.

The colors on the first page were easy to pick out. Though never planned for color, I always knew approximately what color everything on the page would be except the bar across the screen with the guest's name on it, which after some deliberation, turned out to be red.

One significant touch up is the CNBC peacock logo. Originally, I drew it so small I couldn't put the bird's head/beak on the symbol. This bothered me, so I redrew it and laid it over the old ones. With my knowledge now, I knew how to turn my black lines white and emulate it precisely. And, I don't knock my own socks off often, but even I can't tell it apart from the real deal! See 20-year-old-self? That's how you do it!

Another thing to note, everything the hosts and guests say in the first few pages of the comic is based on things that were really said at the time, just with some exaggeration. So, yeah, there was a gun rights activist advocating for arming teachers, an activist who felt the killers were picked on because they might've been gay or perceived as gay and, yes, Jerry Falwell did have a hotline for suing the entertainment industry, uttering the words "Sue, Sue, Sue!" during a sermon. God bless the late Rev. Falwell, he could turn anything into a three ring circus of the absurd.  You can't make this stuff up, kids.

So page one is down, 14 more to go!



No comments:

Post a Comment