Tuesday, February 18, 2014

So I'm Making a Power Ranger Parody, Part 2

So starting a new story from scratch requires designs. Since the ranger outfits that Stickboy and Psychoboy would be wearing for most of the issue would be so important, I decided to start with them. The teasers I've done let me work out the designs and see them in color and in context with each other, which will help when I'm doing the story.

The first teaser, which I put at the end of issue two let me design the helmets, even if they were mostly hidden in darkness. This is of course a parody of the posters for Power Rangers the Movie. I would've preferred an image that was a bit more lit, but it's such a famous image, I had to take a go at it.

The design sheets for the outfits let me work out the whole suits, and take a first stab at the Morphers.
These design sheets are something of a tradition for the series. Every actor that's appeared on the series has one. If Stick and Psycho are going to be rangers they had to have one.

Since this is a parody, and they're not literally joining the Power Rangers, I came up with the name Terrific Transformin Super Rangers for the their team and the "show" they're on. The logo will be incorporated into the cover and title page. It's very closely modeled after the original Power Ranger logo with most of it drawn in Photoshop.

So I've got the costumes and logo down. I used tons of references (pictures, an S.H. Figuarts figure and of course, the show itself) and really had to get into all the intricacies of the design work in the show. I'll probably do a separate post just on designing the characters, but lets just say I now appreciate all the craftsmanship that went into creating the show.

Next up,  writing the script!

No comments:

Post a Comment