Thursday, February 20, 2014

Issue Three Script...Ready!

I wrote the script for the third issue last night. It's the first comic script I've written since 2000 and it was
a lot of fun, I can write this stuff all day.

I wrote it all in one sitting while the TV played my VHS recording of  the original airing of Green with Evil, the epic five part Power Ranger miniseries that introduced Tommy the Green Ranger (played by Jason David Frank), which to me and a lot viewers, is what defined the series. VCRs are wonderful things. While you can which it on Netflix, you don't get the iconic "Today on Power Rangers" introduction before each episode that was so associated with the show, which I've incorporated into the story (see page below). The end credits of each episode even included the Green Ranger telling viewers to tune in tomorrow as he destroys the Power Rangers. How could you not watch?

So that made for great reference material. I sketched out the panel layout as I wrote to make sure what I was writing was physically possible to draw and flowed correctly. The plot came out of my head in the same form it's existed for the last few months, though my guestimate of 8 pages was off.

The amount of panels a scene takes in your head can be a little different when you start writing it down. The story itself ended up being 11 pages long. That combined with the title page, which will be the "show opening" for Super Rangers, and a one page gag related to the story I really want to do, will bring it to 13 pages of story.  I'm rethinking the 99 cent price tag I originally said when I thought it was around eight pages. The first issue with 15 pages will be $1.99, so maybe I should go with that price tag out of consistency? Let me know what you guys think.

While the plot hasn't changed since I first thought of it, the dialog for the story has evolved in the last few months as clever lines came to me over time and even as I was writing the script. Purely functional dialog for visual gags turned into verbal gags added on top of the craziness already present in the panel. It's like painting with words, putting layer after layer of story and humor into each scene.  

And I love Psychoboy. The stuff that comes out of his mouth is just awesome. I can't wait to start drawing this



No comments:

Post a Comment