Sunday, February 16, 2014

So I'm Doing a Power Ranger Parody, Part I


The logo for my parody team!
So every story in College Follies is different. Issue one is based on a current event (or one that was
current when it was originally done in 1999). The second issue is a slice of life story. And the third will be the series' first pop culture parody, lampooning  Power Rangers!
 
This is the first new story for the series in 13 years and will have a completely new plot. Power Rangers, having had the height of it's popularity in the 90s fits in perfectly with the first two issues, which were set in the late 90s.

I hadn't watched the series much in the last decade but it's 20th anniversary caught my attention. I looked into what happened to the original cast, the story behind the series itself and how it's survived 20 years. I started thinking about the impact it's had on television, pop culture and people's lives.  It was all pretty inspiring and caused a series of short parody stories about the series to pop in my head.
 
I'll be doing one of these stories. It's a short story solely focused on Stickboy and Psychoboy as  rangers using giant robots to battle an oversized monster. Though only focused on one aspect of the show, I'll work in a lot of the show's structure and conventions. I haven't written the script yet, but I'm guestimating it'll be an eight page story that I'll be putting out as a 99 cent digital comic. Putting it out in my spare time is a slow process, but I'm hoping to have it wrapped up by May.

I do have plots for numerous other Power Ranger parody shorts in my head on other aspects of the show, like lame Zords, morphing mishaps, etc. so if you want to see more, let me know and maybe I can do a follow up issue next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment