Monday, April 7, 2014

Issue Three Cover Ready! Don't Touch That Dial!

So because of time restraints, I wasn't going to do an actual cover for issue three. I was just going to grab an image from the interior and blow it up and maybe use the Super Rangers logo for a little "Featuring Super Rangers" blurb.
 
But while I was writing the script with my taping of the original showing of "Green with Evil" playing from the first season of Power Rangers, I kept seeing the couple second-long "up next" filler commercials between shows.
 
And thus the cover below popped into my head... 
 
 
It's still reused art taken from Aqua Blue Ranger's intro panel on page two and Lavender Ranger's intro on page three, but obviously using photos to put them on TV required quite a bit of work.
 
Fox Kids Network (on Fox) originally aired the first season, hence the joke there. The photo is my own old TV combined with a pic of some old rabbit ears, which just seemed like the perfect touch.
 
The cover is meant to work with the rest of the comic, kind of acting as it's first panel (like in the covers of the original Watchmen miniseries). You see the "up next" message on the cover then go into the "Today on Super Rangers" narration on the inside cover, followed by the show opening, and then the episode begins on page one. Hopefully, this captures the feel of watching the show back in the day. It certainly was a lot of fun to do, at the very least.
 
Next, I'm going try to do a quick variant cover and get more work on done page three.

No comments:

Post a Comment