Wednesday, April 9, 2014

COMIXOLOGY RESPONDS!!!

So at long last Comixology responds to my submission of College Follies #1...and I have been tentatively accepted....and rejected. Confused? Good, I shouldn't be the only one.

So I opened my email yesterday and, after a five month wait, saw an email entitled, "comiXology Rejection." Fighting the urge to curl up in the fetal position under my desk, I clicked on the message.

A few paragraphs in and I read "Your submission has been tentatively accepted." What??? Really??? Awesome!

But then it goes on to say "however there are issues with your submission that need to be resolved prior  it being fully accepted." Well, okay, it must be some sort blaring problem that will be quick and easy to fix.

The problem?

"Lettering not up to industry standards: Comic Sans"

So I don't have a picture of my reaction but this panel of Stickboy should give you an idea of the look on my face...


The email had links to sites that sell and also give away fonts. So after I looked it up, apparently using Comic Sans causes an automatic rejection from Comixology. If this was mentioned anywhere in their guidelines I certainly didn't see it. 

I've had a lot of feedback on that first issue over the years. At no point has anyone had complaints about the kerning or the shape of the letters. But, hey, it's their site. 

So glass half empty, I now have to go through word balloon by and word balloon and change every bit of dialog (plus the logos) in the first issue. I'll have to eventually do that for everything else too. This is time I really didn't want to take out from working on the third issue. Plus, the letters are part of the comic, which is kind of time capsule of its era, so Comic Sans seems appropriate for that.

Glass half full is that I found a newer free font through one of their links that's very close to Comic Sans  so the look shouldn't change much and it won't require too much work to make sure all the redone text stays in its balloons. And after I do this, it sounds like I have a good chance of getting on Comixology. 

Let me repeat that they did say I was "tentatively accepted" except for the font. So potentially once I get this done the world's biggest digital comic distributor will pick me up, which would be amazing and a dream come true! Stay tuned kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment