Monday, September 23, 2013

Turning the blogging down half a notch

So the pace I've been doing the comic and everything related to it has been pretty grueling. When I said I was doing this in my spare time, I didn't realize it was going to take up practically all my spare time.
 
I work a job that already gives me more than fulltime hours. Monday and Tuesday from the time I wake and eat breakfast to the time I go to sleep is spent at work. Tuesday is usually a double shift until about 2-5 a.m.  with me going back in by about 11 that same morning on Wednesday. I'm usually too tired to do much else that day after I finish my work so I go home and crash (though often doing social media in my sleep deprived stupor or even attempting to do a little on the comic sometimes). Then Thursday and Friday almost all my waking hours are either consumed by my job or working on the comic. Often times it'll spill over into 4-6 hours of work on the comic on Saturday (and sometimes a weekend assignment at work), though sometimes I'll have the weekend off. So the weekend gives me somewhere between a day and half to two days to type up my blogs for that weekend and the first half of the week, do social media stuff and do life maintenance (chores, errands, grocery shopping, washing clothes, fishing the bills out of my junk mail, etc). And sometimes I'll try to squeeze in watching a movie or something.
 
Obviously, this pace is not sustainable but I think I can keep it up for one more month to finish the first issue. After that the pace on producing pages will slacken and hopefully I can do it in my actual real spare time, not taking up all my non-working hours.
 
I say all this to illustrate that I just haven't had time to do much for the comic outside of producing actual pages, blogging and limited social media. YouTube videos, promotional art and a lot of the more extensive social media stuff has slowed to a bare trickle. I haven't put pencil or pen to paper in more than two months and in several weeks I'm going to have to ink the second story, which I penciled back in 2000, which has a high level of difficulty with lots of lots of panels, characters and tiny lines per page to ink. So I really need to free up time to get some inking experience by doing promotional art and do some of the other things I have planned to promote the comic.
 
Thus, I'll no longer be blogging everyday. After 77 consecutive daily blog posts, I feel it's time to turn it down a half a notch. I'll only be blogging when I have something new to report like an announcement, new art or progress on a page. For now I won't be doing the time-consuming posts showcasing my previous art, which requires scanning, image adjustments and sometimes lengthy commentary. I've showcased just about everything I have that's relevant to the first issue and my introduction video, which can always be found under "Categories" on the sidebar of the blog.
 
There should always be blog posts on Thursday-Saturday as I work on the comic itself and if I get to make new art, videos, etc those may end up as posts on Sunday and Monday. Following me on the social media also listed on the blog's sidebar is the best way to keep abreast of when I'm posting.

Thanks you guys for continuing to read this blog and please comment or drop me a line to let me know you're out there and what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment