Sunday, August 18, 2013

Stars of the Media!

 
So  back in 1999, I had these insane action figures on page six of my comic called Stars of the Media, which captured the disgraced and demented that dominate the headlines in plastic form. And then I got an assignment to make a box in my college digital design class. Well, some things are in life are just too perfect to pass up.
 
Thus, I made boxes for both the Stabbing Action OJ and Stained Dress Monica Lewinsky figures. It was a lot of fun. I took apart boxes to learn how to make one. I got to design a logo and slogan for the action figure line ("If they've done wrong, we've exploited it"). Best of all, I got to do the back of the box, showcasing OJ's stabbing action feature and the other toys available in the line.
 
The boxes are surreal. Like something out of my crazy comics came to life. They get a great reaction from those who see them. I even got an offer to buy one at a comic convention I displayed one at back in 2000.
 
Sadly, I didn't know what I was doing back in the day and the material they were made of was too flimsy and not very durable. They're terribly warped, beat up, dirty and deteriorated. Though nowadays I suppose that would make them even more authentic as old packaging from late 90's toys.
 
So the pics in today's post will give you an idea of what they look like as boxes and then Monday and Tuesday I'll post close ups of the front of and back of both boxes and rounding it out with a blog on Wednesday on if anything like them was ever actually made.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment