Monday, August 12, 2013

Bigirl, the College Follies Ring Girl

So back in 1999 and 2000 when I originally made the black and white comic I'm currently coloring and touching up for the web, my college student website acted as portfolio, art gallery and home of the online version of the comic (I had each page up as a large jpeg). This was back before daily updates had become the expected thing, so many sites made by people (like me) who couldn't update every day put a list of updates up as one of the first things visitors would see on the site. Nowadays web design templates give most sites a way to place or link new material on the frontpage. Back in the day, you just updated the various different pages and galleries inside the site, and let visitors know about the updates.

And thus I used Bigirl like a ring girl at a boxing match, greeting visitors and holding up a sign letting people know about the latest additions. I always liked the image. The color version has been lost along with the site, but it'll be a cinch to color it again. I'm sure I can sure figure how to put it to some current use. I'm open to suggestions: what should her sign say now?


No comments:

Post a Comment