Monday, August 5, 2013

Go, Chiggy, go!

A character inspired by a bird doll, as a bird doll...irony!
So the page I posted yesterday had an appearance by an adorable yellow bird doll.

That's Chiggy. He's a little character who is, strangely enough, inspired by an interview with the band, The Presidents of the United States about their song, Mach 5. In it, they explain the line  "Chickie on the dash" refers to a bird doll they have that's so worn and beat up that it barely resembles a bird anymore. So I started to doodle sketches of what that would look like as a cartoon character. I misheard the name, thinking they were saying "Chiggy," and thus that's what I named the character.

He was just a cute little critter I'd draw when I was bored. He makes me happy. He became something of a mascot for me. He greeted people on my old (now erased) student website, right beside my logo, declaring "It tastes great!" He may have said some other things at various points, but I can't recall them now. I drew him in a few homemade greeting cards for friends too.  He even made it into the plots of one of my more out-there fantasy concepts as a non-speaking pet of a main character.
 
I've got more art of him laying around, but this is the one set of sketches I could find that was already scanned in and cleaned up. I may post more at some point in a future blog if I ever get time.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment