Saturday, March 22, 2014

Comic printing update

I'll begin digitally inking issue three tonight but I just wanted to drop you guys this little update. All the preparations that needed to be done to print issue one are done and it has been sent to a digital printer who will be printing a small run for me to sale starting at a convention at the end of April  Both the regular cover and God Awful Variant Cover edition will be available to buy for $3. I'll be selling these at cons and then, once the digital edition is released, I'll be selling them online as well.
 
I also sent off for 11x17 prints to be made for of the first issue's cover. Other prints will be done later, but that seemed to be the most popular and relevant image I had at the moment. The prints will be $5 at cons and will also be available later online.
 
The reformatting for print required me to create extra space around every page (called a "bleed"). The comic wasn't made with this in mind so it's taken some doing to rework the cover to create that space. Photoshop Elements also can't do CMYK (which is the color scheme for print) so I have to run to the office anytime I needed to makes changes to them. It's been a little nerve racking. I just got back from the office, correcting what I hope is my last oversight ( I forgot to put the price on the cover).
 
I've pretty much got issue two ready to go so sending the regular edition, variant and prints of the covers should be relatively painless when I'm ready to do that, which will probably be before the next convention in July.
 
And for those of you who recall, this is supposed to be a digital comic, and yes, it still is. Comixology is still reviewing it and didn't have any updates or estimates on much longer it will take. I'm hoping they give me a response before the con so I can have fliers, etc. announcing a release date on the comic but at this point it may be summer before I hear back. I'd like to think this means they're giving it serious consideration. It's strange in this day and age a digital comic will be available in print before it goes digital.
 
Anyway, all this has been slowing down the work on issue three so I'm glad to finally have it behind me. Onward to new finished pages!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment