Friday, August 15, 2014

Issue Four, Page One...The Many Jobs of Psychoboy!

So here's the first page of issue four with commentary below...
 
So one of the problems with putting this series out in my spare time is it's just a few short stories a year making ongoing gags that would go through a full length monthly series impossible. So readers are missing out on the ongoing gag I had planned where Psychoboy has a different job, girlfiend, car, hobby, etc. everytime you see him. So a short called the "Many Jobs of Psychoboy" popped in my head, showing briefly a sampling of Psycho's jobs.
 
But then I was wondering how to end it. What do you do after you've been fired from every job in existence? Well then you try for a job that requires no qualifications or work experience....namely a seat in Congress, duh. And so that spun the story in a whole new (and longer) direction and it became "Psychoboy Goes to Washington."
 
This is the first story told from Psychoboy's perspective. Stickboy will be showing up later, but it's Psycho's show for the most part.
 
The second panel is one of the most challenging to draw  in the issue since I rarely draw cars, much less ones in a wreck. It also features the third appearance of my Officer Barbrady parody character. I really need to give this guy a name by now.

The background gags in the third panel actually happened organically as I created it. I ended up with way more empty space than I wanted after drawing the characters and the flaming car, but I didn't feel like drawing garage equipment or more mechanics. Then I remembered seeing some pin-up girl art in a garage with some hilariously suggestive car mantiance language on it, jokes about lube and dip sticks and all that. So I decided to do some exaggerated versions of that. At some point the name "Quicky Lube" popped in my head as the name of the place.
 
The layout on the first few pages is simple enough that I'm actually scripting it as I go. I'll have a whole script done by the time I get to page four so that I know exactly how to pace the rest of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment