Thursday, January 16, 2014

Page Three Done!!!

Page three for issue two is done. Since the story is only five pages I won't show the finished page so as not the spoil the story, but I'll show enough of it to give you the gist...
 

 
I love this panel. Bed Hair Dino. It's unintentional, but between this and the first story we actually see the beds and bedrooms of each of the main characters I introduced. A bedroom can say a lot about a person. I wish I had a bit more in the background here, but I got a feeling I just didn't have the time for it back when I drew this in 2000. The Chiggy doll is a nice touch. Can't remember my logic (if any) for putting it there, but it seems likely Stickboy gave it to Dino (or vice versa).

Next up, what's worse than a mom that hates everybody you date? One who likes them too much...

 
Dino's mom is based on the mom of my real life ex-girlfriend. Nice lady with a wicked sense of humor. I didn't really think much about the smoking when I drew the panel in 2000. It was pretty common to smoke just about everywhere in my state other than a hospital room, school, ect. It's very different now with smoking banned in restaurants (and most other public buildings) and the harm of smoking and second hand smoke being so well known. Not sure if smoking at the breakfast table like this is taboo now, but I present it here without judgment.
 
Not sure if Dino eating the killers' favorite cereal from the first story was intentional, but it's a nice in joke nonetheless.  
 
 
 
So by now you're probably seeing a pattern forming. Chances are if you've ever tried to be friends with an ex, you've experienced some form of this. The scenes on this page with Dino's mom and the greeter have my two favorite lines in the story, but you'll have to get the issue to read them.
 
 
I love that panel. Sometimes you can say a lot with few words. A pause in the story can communicate as much as the action.
 
 
That's also one of my favorite lines in the comic, I'll give you that one for free.
 
 So there you have it, page three in all it's glory. I knocked it out faster than the first couple pages.  The transferring of identical elements (colors, inks and letters) done in  previous panels helped.  The next couple pages should go just as well as I begin to wrap this sucker up.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment