Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Look Ma, I'm On Camera! It's My Latest YouTube Video!



This video was done on the fly. I saw James Rolfe's end of the year video on Cinemassacre on New Year's Eve and was like "Cool, I should try doing that." I've been thinking about trying to turn the camera on myself ever since getting the new digital recorder and this seemed like a good opportunity.

It took longer than one would think. I had to find someplace where the shadows weren't too harsh. And I had to place the covers in the background  just right so they didn't look crooked. I only have a little tripod so it took a ridiculous looking tower of boxes and books on an end table to get the height needed to shoot. It took awhile to get the camera positioned just the right way to frame the video correctly. And once recorded, it literally took the rest of the night (4 hours) just to upload and for YouTube to process the edits (2+ hours) because of the massive size, since it's a lengthy HD video.

I'm just talking off the top of my head here. I was hoping to be able to cut it to make it a little shorter and tighter, but unfortunately YouTube's video editor was the only choice I had, and I couldn't figure out how to make cuts to the middle of a video last night (hopefully there's a tutorial or something I can look up for future reference). I could cut from the end okay and chopped out a bit on social media I want to redo for it's own video later.

My camera split the recoding into a separate video (skipping a few seconds) at 16 minutes and screwed up the ending so I had to rerecord that (which is why there's a skip at the end).

The video quality isn't as nice I'd like, but I'll check around my apartment to see if there's a place well lit enough to get better video.

 So what do you guys think? Would you rather see videos like this, or ones I've been doing with  the slideshows using voiceover?

No comments:

Post a Comment