Monday, November 25, 2013

YouTube video I did of a cool broken Street Fighter II arcade machine


This video isn't comic related, but it is on my YouTube Channel so I thought I'd mention it.

I stumbled on this particular Street Fighter II arcade cabinet at a discount movie theatre in Greensboro. The game was extremely broken. The graphics have turned into glowing black and white lines with occasional flashes or touches of color. It looks like a cross between old school Tron and a photographic negative. Despite that, people were still playing it.

And I can see the draw. Suddenly a background you've literally seen thousands of times before has glowing water dripping from the ceiling or flashing neon lights on the elephant's dressing. It made them fresh, like a new edition of the game. I wanted to stand there and see what the next opponent would look like or how the next stage would be transformed.

What struck was me that people weren't playing this game in spite of it being broken. They were playing because it was broken. And there's something beautiful about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment