Monday, December 23, 2013

First page of the second story done!

Page one for story two is done!

I wrote and penciled it 13 years ago. It's amazing to see it finished after all these years. Like the first story, I'm not altering anything unless it was really screwed up. The only exception is the "Sometime in the late 90s" line I added, as I did in the first story, since so many years have passed.

First Panel!
It was completely digitally inked, which took awhile but looks pretty great for something I inked.
 Intended as a black and white comic like the first story, it was fun finding the right background colors.

My old notes intended for this story to have a greater reliance on doing things digitally since I'd discovered computers can do repetition and precession better than my meager human talents. So I took a slightly altered registered from issue one to put on Dino's counter and digitally created the slightly unnerving uniform cereal box covers in panel one. 

And I took the digital further than my younger self could've dreamed of. I used carbon paper copying to create as close to identical positions, bodies, etc. for the characters as I could when I penciled it 13 years ago. Because of that, when I digitally inked and colored it I could just transfer the identical parts between panels.

This was lettered in Photoshop Elements 10, which is great for background elements and just laying down text. The word balloons...are a different story. I used generic shapes I'd made in Illustrator and tried to resize them. It made it a far more difficult and convoluted process, but after a bit of work I think they look alright at least. I'll probably try to use Illustrator for the dialog when I have access to the program.
The first page here sets up our setting and characters. This is set in the College Follies equivalent of Super Walmart. This was back when the super stores were brand new and people were still in awe (or bewilderment) of combining a grocery store and department store into one massive behemoth of shopping. The story is based on real life events but exaggerated for humor (it didn't take THAT long for my ex to turn in her till, nor did I have a full bag of potato chips with me to comically illustrate the passage of time). So anyway enjoy the page below, the first unpublished College Follies material completed in 13 years!


No comments:

Post a Comment